A score in tenpins; knocking down all ten after rolling two balls.
An extra car wheel and tire for a four-wheel vehicle.
An extra component of a machine or other apparatus.
Use frugally or carefully.
Give up what is not strictly needed. Приклади
- He asked if they could spare one of their horses to speed his journey.
Refrain from harming.
Save or relieve from an experience or action. Приклади
- I'll spare you from having to apologize formally.
Lacking in amplitude or quantity. Приклади
- A bare livelihood.
- A scanty harvest.
- A spare diet.
Thin and fit. Приклади
- The spare figure of a marathon runner.
- A body kept trim by exercise.
More than is needed, desired, or required. Приклади
- Trying to lose excess weight.
- Found some extra change lying on the dresser.
- Yet another book on heraldry might be thought redundant.
- Skills made redundant by technological advance.
- Sleeping in the spare.
Kept in reserve especially for emergency use. Приклади
- A reserve supply of food.
- A spare tire.
- Spare parts.
Not taken up by scheduled activities. Приклади
- A free hour between classes.
- Spare time on my hands.
Just sufficient. Приклади
- The library had a spare but efficient look.