The syllable naming the fifth (dominant) note of any musical scale in solmization.
In truth (often tends to intensify). Приклади
- They said the car would break down and indeed it did.
- It is very cold indeed.
- Was indeed grateful.
- Indeed, the rain may still come.
- He did so do it!
Subsequently or soon afterward (often used as sentence connectors). Приклади
- Then he left.
- Go left first, then right.
- First came lightning, then thunder.
- We watched the late movie and then went to bed.
- And so home and to bed.
In order that. Приклади
- He stooped down so he could pick up his hat.
In the way indicated. Приклади
- Hold the brush so.
- Set up the pieces thus"; ('thusly' is a nonstandard variant).
To a very great extent or degree. Приклади
- The idea is so obvious.
- Never been so happy.
- I love you so.
- My head aches so!
(usually followed by 'that') to an extent or degree as expressed. Приклади
- He was so tired he could hardly stand.
- So dirty that it smells.
In such a condition or manner, especially as expressed or implied. Приклади
- They're happy and I hope they will remain so.
- So live your life that old age will bring no regrets.
To a certain unspecified extent or degree. Приклади
- I can only go so far with this student.
- Can do only so much in a day.
In the same way; also. Приклади
- I was offended and so was he.
- Worked hard and so did she.