Putting in order. Приклади
- There were mistakes in the ordering of items on the list.
(architecture) one of original three styles of Greek architecture distinguished by the type of column and entablature used or a style developed from the original three by the Romans.
A degree in a continuum of size or quantity. Приклади
- It was on the order of a mile.
- An explosion of a low order of magnitude.
A commercial document used to request someone to supply something in return for payment and providing specifications and quantities. Приклади
- IBM received an order for a hundred computers.
A legally binding command or decision entered on the court record (as if issued by a court or judge). Приклади
- A friend in New Mexico said that the order caused no trouble out there.
A body of rules followed by an assembly.
(often plural) a command given by a superior (e.g., a military or law enforcement officer) that must be obeyed. Приклади
- The British ships dropped anchor and waited for orders from London.
A request for food or refreshment (as served in a restaurant or bar etc.). Приклади
- I gave the waiter my order.
(biology) taxonomic group containing one or more families.
A group of person living under a religious rule. Приклади
- The order of Saint Benedict.
A formal association of people with similar interests. Приклади
- He joined a golf club.
- They formed a small lunch society.
- Men from the fraternal order will staff the soup kitchen today.
Logical or comprehensible arrangement of separate elements. Приклади
- We shall consider these questions in the inverse order of their presentation.
(usually plural) the status or rank or office of a Christian clergyman in an ecclesiastical hierarchy. Приклади
- Theologians still disagree over whether 'bishop' should or should not be a separate order.
Established customary state (especially of society). Приклади
- Order ruled in the streets.
- Law and order.
A condition of regular or proper arrangement. Приклади
- He put his desk in order.
- The machine is now in working order.
Place in a certain order. Приклади
- Order these files.
Bring order to or into. Приклади
- Order these files.
Assign a rank or rating to. Приклади
- How would you rank these students?
- The restaurant is rated highly in the food guide.
Arrange thoughts, ideas, temporal events, etc. Приклади
- Arrange my schedule.
- Set up one's life.
- I put these memories with those of bygone times.
Make a request for something. Приклади
- Order me some flowers.
- Order a work stoppage.
Give instructions to or direct somebody to do something with authority. Приклади
- I said to him to go home.
- She ordered him to do the shopping.
- The mother told the child to get dressed.
Issue commands or orders for.
Appoint to a clerical posts. Приклади
- He was ordained in the Church.
Bring into conformity with rules or principles or usage; impose regulations. Приклади
- We cannot regulate the way people dress.
- This town likes to regulate.