Stop maintaining or insisting on; of ideas, claims, etc. Приклади
- He abandoned the thought of asking for her hand in marriage.
- Both sides have to give up some calims in these negociations.
Give up in the face of defeat of lacking hope; admit defeat. Приклади
- In the second round, the challenger gave up.
Give up or agree to forego to the power or possession of another. Приклади
- The last Taleban fighters finally surrendered.
Refrain from consuming. Приклади
- You will have to forgo alcohol.
Give up with the intent of never claiming again. Приклади
- Abandon your life to God.
- She gave up her children to her ex-husband when she moved to Tahiti.
- We gave the drowning victim up for dead.
Relinquish possession or control over. Приклади
- The squatters had to surrender the building after the police moved in.
Lose or lose the right to by some error, offense, or crime.
Part with a possession or right. Приклади
- I am relinquishing my bedroom to the long-term house guest.
- Resign a claim to the throne.
Give up what is not strictly needed. Приклади
- He asked if they could spare one of their horses to speed his journey.
Leave (a job, post, post, or position) voluntarily. Приклади
- She vacated the position when she got pregnant.
- The chairman resigned when he was found to have misappropriated funds.
Allow the other (baseball) team to score. Приклади
- Give up a run.
Put an end to a state or an activity. Приклади
- Quit teasing your little brother.